Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My Job (Dedicated to Gavin and His Mom)

I'm not exactly sure what I'll be doing for my job here. Thats a good thing though. It just means I'll have opportunities to do lots of different things. My main project will be working to improve rural water supplies in my Parish. The Parish of Hanover is in the very northwest corner of Jamaica. It is considerered remote because it takes about 5-6 hours to get to Kingston. Most people have either jobs in farming, service, or tourism. The city of Lucea is the capital and the tourist city of Negril is also in the parish. The coast is beautiful and the intreior mountains are even more beautiful. The mountains are filled with a lot of small rural communities that don't have access to piped water. They get their water from springs or rainwater. My job will be to improve these water supplies and make them safe to drink. Right now a lot of people still carry their water from springs and rivers. I actually don't always have water available so it makes bathing and going to the bathroom interesting.

Hope that gives you a little bit of insight into what I'm doing here.
Later

PS Check out Gavin Finnegan's blog. He's one of my friends and it's pretty interesting

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update Dave. I've been waiting to see something new. Super jealous about the mountain situation--not gonna lie. And I'm loving hearing about the sweet taxi rides you get.

    Just out of curiosity, are you still running, or are you spending your spare time getting to know more people there (or both perhaps)?

    Do some work with that water supply.

    ReplyDelete