Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hellshire

Welcome to Hellshire. I'm in a small town outside of Kingston right now. All 30 of us volunteers are staying here with host families. It's a tight community tucked in right on the ocean. Every morning I wake up and go for a run along the ocean and then my host mom makes me breakfast. After breakfast we usually go to classes all day. The classes include everything from Jamaican Patois, to technical training. It makes for a long day. At about 6 I go home and eat and then relax with friends or hang out with some of the neighborhood people.
The hardest thing about living here is understading the language. Patois is hard to understand and I'm terrible at speaking. The first day or so I couldn't understand it at all. Now I can understand it fairly well and know enough phrases to make people more comfortable.
Right now I'm at a local school using the internet so I don't know when I'll get a chance to post again. Next time I post I'll throw some pictures up. I'm having a great time.
PS I have a cell phone. Call me. I can't put up the number on this blog but you can probably get it somehow.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that you can keep up your running. Looking forward to seeing a few photos. It sounds like a LOT of work, but good work. Later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick update from home...no worries Jack Bauer saved "the hour" again this past week so I know you can sleep better at night knowing that! I'm glad you are doing well down south, I can't wait to see photos of the adventure! We miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps Kip is me Christin, I'm still trying to figure out how to post on this thing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude. Totally jealous of the running by the ocean. And having your host mom make you breakfast. More the latter than the former.

    ReplyDelete